||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture|
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
1940 - The R. J. Reynolds, Jr. Residence, aka Merry Acres, 2852 Merry Acres Lane, Winston-Salem. Designed by Luther Lashmit of Northup and O'Brien. Donated to Wake Forest University in 1966. Destroyed in 1978.
1941 - The Austin D. and Alberta C. Parker House, 1058 Teague Road, Winston-Salem. Parker sketched the designs for this and the next house on a paper bag while sailing back to the United States after one of his trips to Cuba. He hired Fogle Brothers to build two unusual but not really Modernist houses, one for himself and one for his son, Mark Parker. As of 2016 owned by the Parker heirs.
1941 - The Mark Parker House, next door at 1080 Teague Road, Winston-Salem. Designed by Austin Parker. As of 2016 owned by Richard and Mark Parker.
1947 - The Carl H. and Florrie S. Russell House, 2200 East 23rd Street, Winston-Salem. Architect unknown. Still occupied by members of the Russell family. Photos by Ormando Harris.
1953 - The Floyd and Bertha Burge House, 1801 Georgia Avenue, Winston-Salem. Designed by their son, J. Kenneth Burge, based on classes he took with George Matsumoto at the NCSU School of Design. Also built by J. Kenneth Burge. Sold in 1978 to Stuart and Marie V. Bellin. Sold in 2014 to Stanley and Julie Carter who restored it.
1954 - The Ellen and Olin Perryman House, 3312 Anderson Drive, Winston-Salem. The plans came from a Better Homes and Gardens plan book. Smaller photos by J. Sinclair. Sold in 1984 to Michael L. Venable. Sold in 2002 to Thomas E. and Suzanne Bridges. Sold in 2004 to to Linwood R. (Robbie) and Joan J. King III.
1955 - The Durward A. and Margaret K. Smith House, 1255 Twin Oak Drive, Winston-Salem. Architect unknown. Sold in 1962 to Gerald J. and Gaynelle Brown. Sold in 1968 to Ronald W. and Dolly T. Evans. Sold in 1988 to Thomas and Linda D. Porter. Sold in 2008 to Gabriel S. Higgins. Top two photos by Myra Caffarey.
1955 - The Floyd S. and Eunice H. Burge, Jr. House, 1330 Irving Street SW, Winston-Salem. Designed and built by Floyd Burge, Jr. For sale for the first time in 2015.
1961 - 5564 Overlook Circle, Winston-Salem. Architect unknown. Sold by original owners in 2000 to Sarah Layton and Rose Purvis. Sold in 2012 to Elizabeth B. Ells Trust and Grady I. Ingle Trust. Sold in 2013 to Trevor Williams. Bottom photo by Myra Caffarey.
1961 - The Marjorie P. Newell House, 3901 Guinevere Lane, Winston-Salem. Architect unknown. Architect Steven Grassia drew up plans for an unbuilt Marjorie Newell house on Lake Tillery in 1977, but he does not recall the original architect for this one. Sold to Will and Christie Spencer. Sold to Brian Chromiere. Sold in 2003 to Helen Atkins-Haire. Sold in 2012 to Aminta M. and Andrew E. Howard. Deeded through foreclosure to HUD. For sale in 2016.
1964 - The Albert Butler Residence, 2850 Galsworthy Drive, Winston-Salem. Designed by architect Byron Simonson from Palm Beach FL. Landscape design by Dick Bell. Sold in 1998 to Michael and Ramelle Pulitzer. Sold in 2012 to Karen J. and Valentin Apple. Bottom 4 photos by Michael Blevins.
1969 - 1215 Yorkshire Road, Winston-Salem. Designed and built by Vincent Fabrizio as a spec house. Sold to Edward and Martha Spudis. Sold in 2013 to Jamie B. and Cary W. Chambers. Sold in 2015 to Lisa R. West and Timothy J. McCann.
1969 - The Howard W. and Anne Kesler Shields House, 3380 Sledd Court, Winston-Salem. 2787 sf. Designed by George Colvin of Colvin Hammill & Walter. Landscape design by Dick Bell. The owners added a garage independently. As of 2014 still owned by the Shields.
1970 - The Jeter A. and Peggy W. Floyd House, 3410 Kem Drive, Winston-Salem. Built by Jeter Floyd. Photos by Heather Fearnbach. Foreclosed in 2012; sold as a teardown. Sold in 2013 to Lynn and Arthur Bernstein; the house will be renovated in 2014.
1970 -The James T. (Jim) and Jacqueleene (Jackie) Dobbins House, 2838 Bartram Road, Winston-Salem. Jim Dobbins designed and drew up the plans. They lived in Japan from 1954-56, thus the Asian influence. W.G. Dinkins of Yadkinville was the builder. Sold in 2014 to Allison and Bradley Roehrenbeck.
1970 -2815 Bartram Road, Winston-Salem. George Colvin of Colvin Hammill and Walter was the architect. As of 2012 owned by the Shelby Lee Chaden Living Trust.
1971 - The Hilda A. Totherow House, 410 Archer Road, Winston-Salem. Designed by Dale Cundiff. As of 2012 still owned by the Totherows. Deeded in 2014 to Paula A. Totherow. Photos by Duffy Healey.
1971 - The Harold L. and Annie Brown Kennedy House, 3727 Spaulding Drive, Winston-Salem. Architect unknown. Annie Brown Kennedy was the second black female attorney to practice Carolina and the first appointed to the North Carolina General Assembly, serving six terms between 1979 and 1994. Still owned by the Kennedy's as of 2012; they do not recall the architect.
1973 - The Roland H. and Barbara Hayes House, 3910 Pomeroy Drive, Winston-Salem. Designed by Barbara Hayes. Built by J. C. Hall of Winston-Salem. As of 2012 still owned by Roland and Barbara Hayes.
1975 - 3415 Cumberland Road, Winston-Salem. Architect unknown. Sold to Carl W. Matthews. Sold in 2013 to James M. Webster Jr. Sold in 2015 to Anthony W. Hairston.
1977 - The Joseph L. Hursch, Jr. House, 1645 Briar Lake Circle, Winston-Salem. Architect unknown. Sold in 1987 to Frances V. Creighton and Marvin S. Coats. Sold in 2016 to Leslie K. and Thomas B. Russell.
1988 - The Jefferson C. and Susan Woodall House, 261 Canterbury Trail, Winston-Salem NC. The roof was modified after 2007, bottom photo. Designed by Jefferson C. Woodall who still owned it as of 2012.
2007 - The Kevin Greene House, Lewisville NC. Designed and built by Buddy Glasscoe of Timberwolf Designs. Interiors, kitchen, bath by Susan Bradford. Solar panels. Featured in Winston Magazine. Photos by J. Sinclair.