MARLBOROUGH P. (MARLEY) CARROLL, FAIA (1939-)
Carroll grew up in Shelby and graduated from high school in 1957. He attended Davidson College for one semester then moved to Raleigh to study at the NCSU School of Design, winning the AIANC award for outstanding design in his class. His 1961 internship was with Vorhees Walker Smith Smith Haines in New York City. After graduating in 1962, he worked with Fletcher Robinson Valenti in Tampa, Robert Wielage and Mark Hampton in Tampa, and Crutcher Ross in Charlotte. He worked for Harry Wolf from 1966 to 1979, becoming partner in 1972, and with Wolf designed the NCSU School of Design's Kamphoefner Hall. He taught at UNC-Charlotte's College of Architecture from 1975-1976.
From 1980 to 1985 he was Corporate Architect for RJ Reynolds Industries. Carroll joined Odell Architects from 1985 to 2008 and served three years as its President. Carroll was Vice President of Design at Clark Nexsen's headquarters in Charlotte until 2012. He is now with C-Design in Charlotte.
Carroll won the Kamphoefner Prize in 1994, the AIANC Gold Medal in 2000, and the NCSU Design Guild Wings on Wings Award.
1991 - The Marley and Irene Carroll House, 501 Moncure Drive, Charlotte NC. Bottom exterior photos by David Ramsey. Sold in 2019 to Sarah C. and Justin D. Faircloth.
Sources include: Marley Carroll, Harry Wolf, Clark Nexsen, NC Architect May 1978.