CHARLES MADISON SAPPENFIELD, FAIA (1930-2013)
Sappenfield grew up in Columbia SC and Charlotte and attended Central High School. He interned in high school at Biberstein and Bowles in Charlotte and later attended NC State. During college, he worked as a draftsman for Ornamental Stone Company in Charleston SC. He left NCSU to serve in the Korean War, coming back to graduate from the NCSU School of Design in 1956, having done internships with Pace Associates in Chicago and Bert King in Asheville.
He was in Denmark from 1960-61 on a Fulbright Scholarship then returned to Raleigh to teach at the NCSU School of Design. He moved to Asheville in 1963 to start his practice while commuting to Clemson SC to teach. Sappenfield moved in 1965 to Indiana and was the founding Dean of the Ball State College of Architecture. He continued a private practice as Sappenfield Wiegman Hall until 1968 then was solo for the rest of his career. After retiring, he moved to Fort Myers FL. His archive is at Ball State.
2011 interview with Charlie Kahn
1958 - The Paul Putnam House, 611 Ashworth Road, Charlotte NC. Sold in 1995 to Thomas F. and Susan B. Carson. Destroyed in 2016.
1958 - The B. Paul and Ellen S. Goodman House, 11 Sareva Place, Asheville NC. Deeded in 1977 to Ellen S. and Walter St. G. Gladding. Sold in 2003 to Amar and Pratibha Nath.
1959 - The Earnest A. and Dorothy B. Hamill Guest House, 424 Vanderbilt Road, Biltmore Forest NC. Sold in 1976 to Luanne C. and Ralph J. Gossett, Jr. Sold in 1979 to Charles T. and Ramona Rowe. Featured in the Asheville Citizen Times, 8/25/62.
1961 - The Shelby Miller House, Asheville NC. Do you know where it is?
1962 - The Burnham S. Colburn Jr. House, Woodfield Road, Arden NC. Do you know where it is?
1962 - The Ira and Rae Lipton Addition, 154 Wembley Road, Asheville NC. Original house built in 1952. Sold in 1967 to Peter V. and Jacqueline S. Elting. Sold in 1973 to Steven and Engeline Sophia Molkenboer. Sold in 1976 to Ken and Margaret M. Wagener. Sold in 1984 to David M. and Suzanne L. Carter.
1963 - The Roger W. and Arline F. Morrison Addition, 65 Sunset Parkway, Asheville NC. Originally built in 1919. Sold in 1974 to Karl F. and Mary Gladys Bitter. Sold in 1985 to Diane Kay McDonald and Anthony Sciara. Sold in 2000 to Stephen R. and Robin Seal.
1963 - The Cyril and Edna Tate Smith House Remodel, 334 Vanderbilt Road, Biltmore Forest NC. Originally built in 1925. Sold in 1963 to Charlotte J. and Lewis Lunsford, Jr. Sold in 1986 to Jean Meyers. Sold in 1989 to Charles G. and Janet Kersten Vasey. Deeded in 2000 to Charles Gibbs and Paula Card Vasey.
1963 - The H. L. Newbold House, Black Mountain NC.
1964 - The Robert B. (Bob) and Elizabeth N. Armstrong House, 23 Amherst Road, Biltmore Forest NC. Deeded in 2002 to Revonda Armstrong Ward. Sold in 2007 to Celeste Sartino and David Allen Sandridge, Jr.
1964 - The Arnold James and Dorothy Roberts Hyde House, 130 Queen Road, Candler NC. Sold in 2006 to Leon T. and Sandra D. Clark. Sold in 2017 to Steven Lucas Slater.
1964 - The Frank Coxe House, High Hampton, Jackson County NC. Unbuilt.
1964 - The Hyman Dave Residence, 140 Lynn Cove Road, Asheville NC. 3552 square feet. All steel construction. Won a 1964 AIANC Honor Award. Sold in 1996 to Thelma Rotham. Sold in 2006 to Carol R. and Margie Lane. Sold in 2007 to Thel-Mar Farms LLC.
1964 - The Rudolf and Helen L. Gumpert Residence, 100 Dry Ridge Road, Asheville NC. Built by H. Southworth Company of Asheville. Won a 1965 AIANC Merit Award; featured in the March 1965 issue of NC Architect. B/W photos by Edward Dupuy. Sold in 1970 to Thomasina Caporella, still owner as of 2014.
1964 - The Voit and Kathryn Gilmore House, 107 Purchase Rd, aka Purchase Knob, Maggie Valley NC. The Gilmores donated the house and 535 acres in 2000 to the Appalachian Highland Science Learning Center in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Used for housing for researchers and environmental education programs.
1964 - The Frank C. and Jean B. Farnam Remodel, 124 North Griffing Boulevard, Asheville NC. Originally built in 1954. Sold in 1968 to F. H. and Betty H. Williams. Sold in 1973 to T. J. and Norma L. Driscoll. Sold in 1978 to Charles D. and Patricia C. Woody.
1964 - The Willard and Cleo Ford Hogan House, 3 Amherst Rd, Asheville NC. Sold in 2004 to Robert K. Weiler.
1964 - The Paul M. and Geraldine G. Lerner Remodel, 111 Griffing Circle, Asheville NC. Originally built in 1952. Sold in 1969 to Cameron W. and Janet Laura Anderson Cantwell.
1964 - The Leo Leslie House, location unknown, North Carolina. Probably unbuilt.
1964 - The Norris House, Waynesville NC.
1964 - The Cogburn Ranch Addition, aka Pisgah View Ranch, Max Cogburn, Davis Creek Road, Candler NC. Owned by the same family since 1790. Opened to the public in 1941. For sale in August 2017.
1964 - The John Shirley House, Leicester NC.
1964 - The James N. and Robbie K. Tilbrook House, 164 Rolling Drive, Waynesville NC. Deeded in 1970 to James K. Tilbrook. Sold in 2007 to Mauney Cove, LLC.
1964 - The James H. Worley House, 74 Aurora Drive, Asheville NC. Originally built in 1948. Sold in 1965 to Mary Beth and Zebulon Weaver, III. Sold in 1969 to Raymond T. and Mary Elizabeth Williams. Sold in 1978 to Thomas M. and Patricia M. Gantt. Sold in 1988 to Robert B. and Maryann Hansen. Sold in 1991 to Johnny R. and Patricia A. Calhoun. Sold in 2004 to Clay Erik Jensen.
1965 - The Dr. C. C. Belcher Guest House, 103 Stuyvesant Road, Biltmore Forest NC. Belcher and his wife also owned 28 Hilltop Road, around the corner from 103 Stuyvesant. They purchased the lot at 103 Stuyvesant and built a cottage, using it as a guest house, but it was always a separate parcel. A Miss Cogburn rented the cottage from Dr. Belcher and several years later she and her husband purchased 28 Hilltop. Later, her husband bought 103 Stuyvesant as a present to her (it had been empty for several years). In the mid 1980's another Cogburn brother moved into the cottage and in 1988 built a new house around the cottage. Sold to Max and Fran Cogburn.
1965 - The Arthur C. and Gertrude R. Brooks Residence, 141 Last Resort Terrace, Black Mountain NC. Sold in 1995 to John C. Mitchell. Sold in 1998 to Mai Garesche Carter.
1965 - The Patricia Orr and William Mason Mebane, Jr. House, 35 Westhaven Drive, Asheville NC. Sold in 2005 to Grace and Darryl E. Unruh, Sr. Sold in 2006 to Rhea Cravens.
1966 - The Herman Milton and Kate Lee Coburn Boniske Residence, 3184 Sweeten Creek Road, Asheville NC. Sold in 1988 to Dave Ogren.
1966 - The George W. and Nancy G. McCleary Residence, 7 Eastwood Road, Biltmore Forest NC. Sold in 1985 to Robert A. Totty, Jr. and Sonya E. Friedrich.
1966 - The Garland E. and Mary Ann Wampler House, 124 Swiss Avenue, Burnsville NC.
1969 - The Stephens Development Company Grassy Mountain Development, Littie Switzerland NC. Built by Bell Construction. Photo by Paul Brezny. Address unknown; do you know where it is?
1972 - The Charles Sappenfield House, 2322 West Berwyn Road, Muncie IN. Photos by Craig Kuhner. Sold in 2016 to Michael Crider.
1982 - The Perry Cross House, 3810 West Moore Road, Muncie IN. According to his son, unbuilt.
1994 - The Freeman A. and Billie Jean Berne House, 9 Bufflehead Court, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 2007 to Marcus E. Smith, Jr.
1998 - The Cuthbertson House, 8 Skimmer Road, Figure Eight Island, Wilmington NC. Deeded in 2010 to William R. Cuthbertson III.
Sources include: AIANC, daughter Sally Sappenfield, Charles Sappenfield, Charlie Kahn.