||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
FREDERICK DAIL DIXON, FAIA (1942-)
Dail Dixon got his Bachelor of Architecture at Clemson University in 1966 and then earned a Masters of Fine Arts in Sculpture at UNC-Chapel Hill in 1970. He worked for John Latimer in Durham, Leslie Boney in Wilmington, and Cogswell Hausler in Chapel Hill before opening Designworks, a design/build firm in Carrboro. In 1982, he opened an architecture-only office as Dail Dixon and Associates. With the addition of Ellen Weinstein, the design practice became Dixon Weinstein Architects in 1997.
In 2003, Dixon Weinstein was honored with the Outstanding Firm Award from AIANC. Dixon has taught studios at the NCSU School of Design, Penland School of Crafts, and the Boston Architectural Center. He is often sought out for Modernist renovations, including the Styron and Blythe houses. The firm became Dixon Weinstein Friedlein Architects in 2009. In late 2009, Dixon left to start Dail Dixon FAIA.
Dixon is an accomplished artist of one-of-a-kind birdhouses which are included in many private collections and were displayed at the Duke University Museum of Art in 2003.
One of Dixon's proudest accomplishments is the Bill and Niki Mercer Renovation in Raleigh.
1976 - The Fred and Mary R. Dixon House, 1909 McDonald Lane, Raleigh, Dixon's parents. Transferred to heirs in 1985. Remodeled 1990. Sold in 1991 to Dixon's sister and her husband, Marilyn and William Blankinship, who still owned it as of 2014.
1977 - The Jim and Shirley Hayward House, 260 Glandon Drive, Chapel Hill. Access through Ridge Lane. Commissioned 1976. Built by BRW of Carrboro. Has been renovated/expanded twice since by other architects. Sold in 1995 to Barbara Wood and Myra Pratt. Sold in 2001 to Fred Emmerson and Lucy Carol Davis. Sold in 2007 to Edwin and Harriet Poston. As of 2012 still owned by the Postons. Photos from the late 1970's by Dail Dixon. Aerial from around 2008.
1979 - The Lee and Edith Calhoun House, 295 Blacktwig Road, Pittsboro NC. Commissioned 1977. As of 2012 still owned by Lee Calhoun.
1981 - 1108 Manor Drive, Chapel Hill. Sold in 2017 to Jean Guillou.
1982 - The John and Carolyn (Lynn) Coie House, 1715 Tisdale Street, Durham. Sold in 2000 to Gary Berman. Sold in 2002 to Sharon Ryan. Sold later in 2002 to Charles and Deanna Sohn. Sold in 2005 to Charles E. and Elizabeth Knott who still owned it as of 2012. Has been substantially remodeled away from the original design.
1983 - The Dail and Artie Dixon House, at 1013 Mount Carmel Church Road, Chapel Hill. Built by Lawrence Naumoff. Sold in 1989 to Frank and Jane Grimmett. Sold in 1994 to David J. Wright and Annette Cox. Sold in 2003 to Annette Cox. Sold in 2008 to Michael Mills.
1983 - The Fred and Fran Rudge House, 716 Mount Carmel Church Road, Chapel Hill. Built by Tom Wilson. 7500 sf. B/W photos by Jerry Markatos. Sold to William (Mack) and Sally Brown. Phil Szostak did a renovation. Landscape design by Southern Green Landscaping. Sold in 1996 to Rex D. and Ellen Adams. Sold in 2001 to James B. and Carol D. Moore III. Sold in 2012 to Robert and Amy Lark. Renovations by Dixon in 2012, bottom two photos.
1983 - The Phillip Julian House, 3321 Manor Ridge Drive, Raleigh. As of 2012 still owned by the Julians. The original house by Dixon did not feature a tower; that was added later by architect Richard Jenkins.
1988 - The Bob and Mary Peet House, 6713 Pauline Drive, Chapel Hill. As of 2012 still owned by the Peets. Kim Tanzer was the project architect. Built by George Cole Builders. Bottom photo by Jerry Merkatos.
1989 - The Henry and Julie Nathan Residence, 143 Plott Valley Road, Waynesville NC. Built by Charles Lanning of Waynesville. Photos by Jerry Merkatos. Won an AIA Triangle Isosceles Award.
1989 - The Art and Denise Scott House, New Hill NC. Based on a winning design by
1991 - The Cathy and Arnold (Ted) Davidson Residence, 4416 Arrowhead Trail, Hillsborough NC. Won an AIANC Merit Award and a South Atlantic Region AIA Honor Award. Built by Triangle Home Crafters. Top three photos by Jerry Markatos. Sold in 2002 to Atanas Travanov and Kalina Boteva. Sold in 2013 to Melinda Head and Richard Foegele, Head-Foegele Trust.
1991 - The Jim and Florence Peacock Residence, 306 North Boundary Street, Chapel Hill. Built by McLean Building Company. The house is sited on the lowest of three formal gardens planted by UNC-Chapel Hill Botany professor W. C. Coker in the early 1900's. Won a 1994 South Atlantic Region AIA Honor Award. As of 2012 still owned by the Peacocks. Landscape architect David Swanson was responsible for garden redesign using the remaining stone walls and based on old photos from the Carolina Collection of UNC Library. Photos by Jerry Markatos and Artie Dixon.
1993 - The Clyde and Susan Edgerton House, 5006 Piney Creek Lane, Durham. 3200 sf. Built by McLean Building Company. 10 acres. Sold in 2002 to Allen E. Buchanan who still owned it as of 2012. Featured in the Summer 1996 issue of NC Architect. Photos by Jerry Markatos.
1996 - The David Jenkins House, 32408 Archdale, Governor's Club, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2015 to Carol (Carlie) Bowman.
2001 - The James Seay House, 530 Bowden Road, Chapel Hill. Photos by Artie Dixon. Built by Scott McLean, McLean Builders.
2002 - The Michael Cucchiara and Marty Hayes Residence (aka The Meadow House or the Hayes-Cucchiara House), 81 Meadow Ridge Lane, Chapel Hill. Won an AIANC Honor Award in 2002. In 2008 Dixon added a carbon-netural apartment upfit in space over the garage. Built by McLean Building, except for the carbon-neutral apartment which was done by Spyglass Building. First five photos by Dail Dixon, Artie Dixon, and Dixon Weinstein Friedlein Architects. Next to last three photos by Jerry Markatos. Last photo by Leilani Carter. Part of the 2013 NCMH Modapalooza Tour.
2004 - The Emanuel and Pam Diliberto Residence, 586 Valley Road, Pittsboro NC. Built by McLean Building Company. As of 2012 still owned by the Dilibertos. Photos by Artie Dixon.
2006 - The Michael Fraenkel and Jeanette Deupree Residence, 190 Valley Lane, Pittsboro NC. Built by Spyglass Building Company. Cabinets by Aventine in Carrboro. Engineering by Neville Engineers. Photos by James West and Artie Dixon. Part of the 2013 NCMH Modapalooza Tour. Sold in 2015 to Bryan K. Nunes.
2009 – The Dwight and Deborah Messinger House,
Pinnacle Lane, Blowing Rock NC.
2010 - The Michael and Lisa Griggs House, Herron Road, Whitsett NC. Photos by Dail Dixon. Built by Fox General Contracting of Siler City. Dixon also did an addition and a carport.