WILLIAM LENOX (BILL) LASLETT (1937-2018)
Laslett was born in Albany NY but the family moved to Fayetteville NC. He graduated high school from Woodbury Forest School in Virginia and from college at Colgate University with an 1959 BA in Fine Arts. At Yale, he graduated in 1963 with a BA in Architecture. He later attended the UNC School of Public Health. Virginia University of Lynchburg gave him an honorary PhD. Laslett went into practice with his father, Basil G. F. Laslett, for the next 20 years, doing primarily institutional work. The firm became Laslett and Laslett and then LSV Partnership in 1984. The elder Laslett died in 1978. Bill Laslett left the firm and moved to Richmond VA around 1987 to work for Odell Associates specializing in medical facilities. He left in 1993 to restart his own firm in Richmond VA, WLL Architects, where he did architecture and was also an expert witness. His funeral was at the Jernigan Warren Funeral Home, designed by Laslett & Laslett in Fayetteville NC.
Approximately 1972 - The Leonard Tufts House, aka Gray Fox Farm, 2760 Murdocksville Road, West End NC. Built by Pinewood Builders. Sold to Diamondhead Corporation by 1975. Won an AIANC Merit Award in 1975. House appears to be destroyed; land now owned by the State and part of a controlled burn area.
1973 - The Samuel E. and Connie Scott Residence, 301 Altamahaw Union Ridge Road, Burlington NC. Located on Lake Cammack. Deeded around 2012 to the Samuel E. Scott Trust. Laslett, who went to Woodbury Forest with Sam Scott, recalls there were no other houses like it at the time in all of Alamance County. Transferred in 2021 to the Connie T. Scott Irrevocable Trust and the Samuel E. Scott Irrevocable Trust.
Sources include: Bill Laslett; North Carolina Architect.