JAMES FELIX KLUTTZ (1934-1994)
Kluttz was born in Concord NC. He graduated from high school in 1952 and subsequently attended the NCSU School of Design. He completed his BS in Architecture in 1960, also completing two years of Army service during that time. While stationed in West Germany, he met and married California native Jean Routzahn, with whom he had four daughters. Kluttz worked for John Ramsay in Salisbury through 1966. He worked on a Master's in city planning at UNC Chapel Hill in the 1960s but did not complete his thesis. He practiced in Salisbury as a partner in Tennant Tennant and Kluttz before striking out on his own. From around 1980 his private practice was located in the pyramid-shaped building he designed and constructed on Johnson Dairy Road in rural Rowan County. He died in his pyramid in 1994.
1963 - The James and Jean Kluttz House, 1233 Maxwell Street, Salisbury NC. Built by Kluttz. Sold in 1987 to Francis and Joan Richard. Sold in 2015 to D. Glass, LLC. Sold in 2017 to Betty L. and Joshua L. Smith. Sold in 2022 to Bob Diallo.
1987 - The James and Jean Kluttz House II, aka The Pyramids, 160 Johnson Dairy Road, Rockwell NC. According to daughter, Kate Kluttz, the red pyramid was built first and had parking for the tractor, farm truck, workshop, and architectural office. The blue pyramid was built second and was the main living space. The pyramids were connected by a screen porch. A small white pyramid contained the wellhouse. Sold in 1995 to David and Linda Diggs. Sold in 2006 to Buenaventura Meza and Matilde Mendez. For sale in 2022.
Year unknown - House in High Rock Lake. Status unknown.
Sources include: daughter Kate Kluttz; Rowan County property records.