||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture|
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
AIJI (TASH) TASHIRO, AIA, ASLA, AIPE (1908-1994)
Tashiro was born in Pawtucket RI and spent most of his childhood in New Haven CT then Seattle WA. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati, where he was on the basketball team. After being diagnosed with TB in one lung, doctors collapsed it and he spent a year recovering in a sanatorium, returning to school to graduate with a BS in Landscape Architecture in 1933. From 1934 to 1936 he was a Landscape Architect for the Ohio Historian and Archeological Society and the Cincinnati Parks and Recreation Commission. From 1936 to 1938 he was in private practice in Cincinnati working with another landscape architect named Parker. One of those projects was the Rauh House:
In 1939, Tashiro was recruited to Appalachian State University (ASU) in Boone NC as Landscape Architect and Associate Architect. He also taught Landscape Design and History of Western Civilizations at the school until 1941. Among many buildings, Tashiro designed what is now the Psychology building at ASU plus a number of faculty houses. His brothers Kenji and Arthur and Saburo and sister Aiko, despite being born in America, were all imprisoned with most of the US Japanese citizens during WWII. Aiji escaped internment living in the small NC town, although he was publicly investigated. He was in the Army for a year but because of his lung was in the infirmary most of that time.
Tashiro Park Fellow Award
Tashiro resisted being labeled a specialist in any aspect of design work, preferring a wide variety of projects, clients, and challenges. He designed many types of buildings, retiring around 1985 but continuing part time until about 1993. His papers are at NC Archives and History in Raleigh.
1950 - The Charles Lant Glenn House, 557 5th Street NW, Hickory NC. Traditional design commissioned 1949. Built by MG Crouch Lumber Company. Designed with D. Carroll Abee. Sold to Alice L. and Robert L. Glenn. Sold in 1977 to Douglas and Shirley Burton. Sold in 1987 to Paul and Marjorie Blubaugh.
1950's - The Charles Cloninger House, 606 4th Avenue NE, Conover NC. Traditional design. As of 2012 owned by Steven Clark Butler.
1950 - The C. L. S. (Sam) Morgan House, 1020 6th Street NW, Hickory NC. Traditional design. Built by MG Crouch Lumber Company. Designed with D. Carroll Abee. Sold to Ann and Hugh Boyer. Sold in 1978 to Robert and Ruth Hord. Sold in 2000 to Robin and Maurice Hord. Sold in 2011 to Mary and Laurence Carter.
1951 - The Lee and Helen George Residence, 16 9th Avenue NE, Hickory NC. Helen George was the sister of Tashiro's wife, Florence. Designed with D. Carroll Abee, who also managed construction. Received National Register status in 2012. Sold later in 2012 to Lisa G. and Gary D. Stutesman.
The building entry photo shows a visual screen on the roof. That was added when the owners revamped the HVAC with rooftop equipment. The original building had in-slab hydronic heating of copper-tubes--something Frank Lloyd Wright and others were promoting heavily. Few buildings in NC had it at the time. As for cooling, the windows had louvered openings below the glass panels using operable vent doors for cross-ventilation. Modern forced air was added much later. It is the earliest identified Modernist house in Hickory.
1951 - The Dan Ligon House, 526 11th Avenue Circle NW, Hickory NC. Traditional design. Built by MG Crouch Lumber Company. Designed with D. Carroll Abee. Sold in 1979 to Jerry and Susan Hux. Sold in 1984 to Arthur and Dawn Bingham. Sold in 1987 to Earl Roberts. Sold in 2013 to Ann S. Hackney.
1952 - The Lynch Cline House, 350 17th Avenue NW, Hickory NC. Traditional design. Built by MG Crouch Lumber Company. Traditional design. Sold in 2007. Designed with D. Carroll Abee.
1953 - The William T. and Mary MacLauchlin House, 237 Eighth Street NW, Conover NC. Sold in 2007 to Chris and Christina Ersig. Sold in 2012 to Roger Lee Turnbow and Frank Thomas Bruno.
1954 - The Robert and Ethel Broyhill Stevens House, 829 Cherokee Street, Lenoir NC. 4 acres on a golf course. 2900 sf. Traditional design, but also one of the first in the area to have radiant ceiling heat and low voltage lighting. Sold to the Broyhill Family Foundation who allowed Mrs. Stevens to continue to live there. Sold in 2002 to Robert and Sheila Triplett-Brady who did a restoration. Photos by Sheila Triplett-Brady.
1957 - The Bernard Rabold House, 214 Pinehurst Lane, Newton NC. 3788 sf. Sold to Douglas and Ginger Rink. Deeded in 2013 to Douglas Rink.
1957 - The Madeline and Stanley Corne House, 1428 Southwest Blvd, Newton NC. Tashiro also did the landscaping plan. Located very near the Rabold house. Willed to son Gary Corne and his wife Marie. Kitchen remodeled in 2011.
1957 - 1115 3rd Avenue NW, Conover NC. Three acres. The one-level Modernist dwelling features a deeply recessed entrance, brick veneer and weatherboard siding, large windows, a carport located off one end, and a low-pitched gabled roof. Went info foreclosure. Sold in 2012 to Buffy Greene.
Mid-1950's - The Scott Brawley House, 102 Hospital Avenue, Lenoir NC. Traditional design. Last owner was Bill Sutton. Destroyed in 2011.
1963 - The William and Allene B. Stevens House, 153 Hillhaven Place SE, Lenoir NC. Commissioned 1955. As of 2012, still owned by the Stevens.
1950's home movie about the construction. Tashiro appears briefly.
1960's - The David Neal House, Clemmons NC. Burned down nine months after occupancy. Featured in the Winston-Salem Journal. Gener Tashiro said it was his dad's favorite house design. Do you know where it was?
Sources include: Mary Margaret Stamy, son Eugene (Gener) Tashiro, Sheila Brady, Allene Stevens, architectural historian Beth Keane.