Architecture You Love
A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture

facebooktwitteryoutubeinstagramvimeoemail

Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.

LAMAR NOBLE NORTHUP (1928-1999)

The son of architect Williard Close Northup of Winston-Salem, Northup graduated from Richard Reynolds HS in 1945 and attended Clemson, NCSU and Illinois Institute of Technology, studying at the latter with Mies Van der Rohe

He returned to Winston-Salem where, according to his wife, "he tried to revolutionize design, which didn't work."  He worked on his own for a while then in 1954 joined Stinson Arey Hall. In 1973 he became a partner and the firm was renamed Hines-Northup-Ersoy in 1975.  He was also a successful concrete sculptor. 


1951 - The Ben Shepherd House, 346 West End Boulevard, Winston-Salem.  This was Northup's first house out of school.  Sold to Strud Nash.  Sold to Littleton Scott.  Sold to Ben Paden who used it as an office and guest house.  Sold to John Nugent.  Sold in 2011 to Richard Atwood.


1953 - The Lamar and Marjorie Northup House I, 2546 Westover Drive, Winston-Salem.  Featured in Art View November 1999.   As of 2011 owned by Ann C Pollard.

 

1954 - The John Gilbert (Gib) White House, 1106 Glenwick Lane, High Point NC.  Commissioned 1952. According to his wife Marjorie, architect Lamar Northup also did a huge mahogany sculpture for the White's living room.  Sold in 2013 to Julian Chitchester LLC.


1957 - The Lamar and Marjorie Northup House II, 1308 Revere Road, Winston-Salem.  For sale for the first time in 2016.


1958 - The Edward L. and Louise L. Davis, Jr. House, 1809 Hattie Circle, Winston-Salem.


1958 - The Joseph G. and Juanita T. Gordon, Jr. House, 1801 Hattie Circle, Winston-Salem.


1965 - The William and Jane Burton House, 3256 Robinhood Road, Winston-Salem. Designed for Northup's sister-in-law and her husband. Sold in 1994. Sold in 2000 to Christopher and Heather J. Bowen. Sold in 2011 to Donna Garcia and Edgar Eugene Bumgardner III.


Sources include:  Wife Marjorie Northup, real estate agent Curtis Leonard, historian Heather Fearnbach.