Architecture You Love
A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture

facebooktwitteryoutubeinstagramvimeoemail

Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.

JOHN HYATT HAMMOND (1926-)

Hammond grew up in Farmer NC, near Asheboro. He graduated from the NCSU College of Design in 1953. While there he interned with Jack J. Croft in Asheboro and with Holloway and Reeves in Raleigh. Upon graduation, he returned to Asheboro in partnership with Jack J. Croft as Croft and Hammond, AIA. He started his own Asheboro firm in 1957 with a Greensboro office in 1962. The offices were merged into Greensboro around 1968. The firm was sold to junior partners and Hammond retired to Asheville NC.

One of Fayetteville NC's most unique buildings is Hammond's 1956 hyperbolic paraboloid Pam-Oil Gas Station, 974 Bragg Boulevard, shown below. Part of the wooden structure in the rear of the building was damaged by a fire in November 2009, according to the Fayetteville Observer. Hammond, who studied under Catalano, hired engineer Walter Preimats to design a concrete roof thin enough to support such dramatic angles. When the building ceased being a gas station, it was a residence for several years. Current status unknown. Bottom photo by Roger Manley.


1956 - The Miller Residence, 818 Worth Street in Asheboro NC. Built by Henry D. Klepacki of Klopman. As of 2012 owned by Clark and Diane Bell. Commissioned 1954.


1957 - The J. Hyatt Hammond Residence, 801 Kildare Road, Asheboro NC. Built by Henry D. Klepacki of Klopman. A three-level home built on a sloping lot, entrance is on the carport and bedroom level. Sold to W. Lee Roberts.


1960 - The Harold A. and Macy Richardson Scott Residence, 69 Lakeview Drive, Whispering Pines NC. Scott was the local Coca-Cola bottler. Sold in 2013.


1965 - The Kennedy House, 520 Inwood, Asheboro NC. Commissioned by Burlington Mills for one of their officers to entertain out of town guests -- as the county was dry at that time. Sold around 1968 to Ann Schwarz. Built by Henry D. Klepacki of Klopman. Schwarz sold in 2002. Rented out in 2012.


Sources include: Steve Cofer, J. Hyatt Hammond.