||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture|
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
1952 - The Isabella S. Davis House, 701 Greenwood Road, Chapel Hill. Photo by Dail Dixon. Sold in 1994 to Glenn and Suzanne Voss. Sold in 2001 to Margaret (Mimi) Fisher Terry who still owned it as of 2012. Garage modifications by architect Georgia Bizios.
1957 - The John and Nina Sessions house, 700 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill. As of 2012 still owned by the Sessions. Bottom photo by Leilani Carter.
1958 - The Donald Stewart House, 408 Severin Street, Chapel Hill. Sold in 1970 to George W. and Helen M. McCall. Sold in 1975 to Elizabeth Eagle. Sold in 1979 to Elizabeth Miller. Sold in 2011 to Sarah J. Somers.
Around 1959 - The John Benjamin "Ben" and Mimi Rouzie House, Jr. House, 804 Kenwick Drive, Winston-Salem. Commissioned 1956. Jim Webb was the lead architect. Ben Rouzie was a student of Webb at UNC-CH. Originally L-shaped, of structural brick, wood frame and beam construction with all spaces vaulted, they added a master bedroom suite in the '60s making it roughly a "U". They hired Jeffrey M. White Pawling NY to design a solar hot tub pool room addition around 1980. Still owned by the Rouzie family as of 2016.
1960 - The Norman Bowers House, 903 Coker Drive, Chapel Hill. In 1960, the Bowers had just returned from Japan and wanted Japanese styling through the interior. Sold in 1965 to Robert Nelson. As of 2012 owned by Robert Ferrier.
1961 - The Alan and Sylvia Kerckhoff Residence, 1511 Pinecrest, Durham. Sold in 2009 for the first time to Thomas Shirley and Martha Zeagler.
1966 - The John and Ruby Graham Residence, 108 Glendale Drive, Chapel Hill. Built by Carl Ellington. Jim Webb reworked the windows at some point. Sold in 2006 to Dennis and Jean Hendrickson who made significant improvements. Photos by Jean Hendrickson. Sold in 2012 to David Witsell. He commissioned a master suite addition (bottom two renderings) by Craig Kerins which was not built.
1966 - The Jean Holcomb Remodel, 302 Burlage Circle, Chapel Hill. Original house was built in 1957. Sold in 2015 to Mai T. Nguyen and Lawrence Applebaum.
1967 - The J. D. and Jean Phillips Residence, 529 Caswell, Chapel Hill. Stewart also did a renovation in 1974. As of 2012 still owned by the Phillips. Photo by Julie Hollenbeck.
1968 - The Hale C. and Anne K. Sweeny Residence, 3500 Cambridge, Durham. Top two photos by Leilani Carter, rest by Bill Welty. The Sweeny's stayed there 42 years and sold it in 2010 - in two days - to Bill and Bea Welty.
1968 - The Robert and Ruth Mace House, 222 Hillcrest Circle, Chapel Hill. Landscape design by Lewis Clarke. Deeded to daughter Mary Mace. Rented for many years. Sold in 2016 to Radhika Shah and Michael Brandt.
1968 - The Robert (Bob) Anderson House, 601 Brookview Drive, Chapel Hill. Straddles Cedar Fork Creek in the Lake Forest area of Chapel Hill. Stewart designed this dramatic house (top picture) on 1.5 acres for Anderson, his partner at CPAA. Sold to Bill and Bitty Holton in the 1980s. The bottom drawing is by Stewart's colleague Jon Condoret. Sold in 2011 to Cutler Andrews. Sold in 2013 to Carolyn F. and Robert C. Martens. Sold in 2014 to Doretha A. Taylor and Scott T. Howell.
1973 - The Roy V. and Helena S. Talmage Remodeling, 347 Wesley Drive, Chapel Hill. Sold in 1978 to Walter N. Vickery. Sold in 1992 to Christopher Rowe, still owner as of 2014.
1975 - The Thomas Higgins House, 708 Wellington, Chapel Hill. Stewart modified plans from Southern Living titled "A Home built for a Hillside." Security Building Company (J. P. Goforth) was the builder. Sold in 2004 to Deborah J. and Ian Jepson.
1984 - The Billy J. Baucom House, 616 Bayberry Drive, Chapel Hill. Commissioned 1982. As of 2013 still owned by Baucom.
1986 - The Donald Stewart House, 7111 Pine Hill, Durham. Sold in 2003 to Xiaobai Sun.
Sources include:Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina 1795-1975 by M. Ruth Little, Sally Greene, Don and Brenda Stewart, CPAA, Bitty Holton.