Ctrl-F to search within page
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
JOHN PORTER CLARK (1905-1991)
Clark was born in Pasadena CA. He trained at
Cornell the moved back to Pasadena to work with Van Pelt and Lind, working
Albert Frey from
1935-1937. In 1939 Frey returned from NY to Palm Springs to
form a firm with Clark which was to continue for nearly twenty more years.
At the end of World War II Palm Springs' population almost tripled, and the city experienced a building boom as an escape for Hollywood and a winter haven for east coast industrialists. The city became a resort community and Clark and Frey who were well-positioned to capitalize on this growth.
Clark's best-known projects were collaborations with Frey, working on Palm Springs City Hall, Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, and Desert Hospital. He was the lead designer on Frey's Hamrick House, Welwood Murray Memorial Library, and the Church of St. Paul in the Desert.
Many thanks to Catherine Westergaard Cramer for her extensive research.
Clarkdesigned the main house. Frey designed an outdoor study which was situated away from the main house for privacy The study contained two square rooms: one had a solid roof that creates an overhang and the other had a screened-in roof. Sold to Praeneste. Sold to Harold Bell. Destroyed.
1940 - The John and Fannie Hamrick Speculative House, 926 West Panorama, Palm Springs CA.
1942 - The Paul Dougherty House, 1860 North Vista Drive, Palm Springs CA.
1945 - The Barney Johnson House, 667 East Mel Avenue, Palm Springs CA.
1945 - The Florian Boyd House, 216 West Via Lola, Palm Springs CA.
Sources include: Morris Newman, Catherine Westergaard Cramer, psmodcom.org, City of Palm Springs Survey.